Savory Shrimp & Smoky Collard Greens
I love drawing inspiration from everywhere, and after watching the Netflix mini-series High on The Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America, I was inspired to create my own Gluten-free African/African American inspired dish.
- 1/2 lb of Peruvian shrimp — Peruvian shrimp is a little sweeter, and the texture is great
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- A sprinkle of smoked paprika
- A sprinkle of Trader Joes South African Spice
- Grits — I used Albers enriched hominy quick grits
- 1.5 T Land O Lakes Butter
- 2 bundles of collard greens sliced into strips
- 1 package of Applegate Naturals Uncured Turkey Bacon chopped. I use this instead of ham hocks in the greens for a lower cholesterol version of collard greens.
- Half a white onion chopped
- Stubbs Hickory Liquid Smoke
- Salt to taste
1. Add 2 cloves of garlic to a small saucepan and sauté in oil for 1–2 mins.
2. Add the shrimp and sauté for 2–3 mins on each side.
3. While the shrimp is cooking, add a sprinkle of smoked paprika, a dash of South African spice mix, and salt to taste.
4. Bring 1 c of water to boil over medium/low heat and add 1/4 c of grits.
5. Reduce heat and let cook for 5–6 mins. Once the grits are almost cooked, add butter and stir thoroughly. Set grits aside.
6. In a large pan, sauté your onion in olive oil and salt for 7 mins.
7. Add the turkey bacon and cook for 7 minutes; make sure both the onion and turkey bacon brown, adding a rich flavor.
8. Add your collard greens and cook down for 10–15 mins on low/medium heat.
9. To plate, add 1–2 scoops of grits to bowl and top with shrimp. In a small separate bowl, add your greens.
10. Salt to taste and ENJOY!
Remember, eat well to be well.